Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cheap stuff online


Cheap stuff

2 online electronic shops
1) www.factorydirect.ca
occasionally has good reconditioned stuff.  The problem is it is a pain if you have to return stuff.  I had to do this for one cable in a box of stuff and they want the whole lot back.  They told me shipping was normally at my expense  but that they would make an exception.  This really turned me off.  The reason you shop online is not to bugger about going to shops/post offices.  The last stuff I got was scratched and a bit shabby reconditioned.

2) deal extreme  http://dx.com
In a nutshell cheap crap from China, but why not?  Same as Canadian?  Tire but MUCH cheaper.  The free shipping to Canada intrigued me, but I was in a big hurry for something so paid $25 for expedited delivery.
I realized after purchase that this is shipping from Shenzen (China) via Vancouver to Montreal.
I ordered it on the 28th and it just arrived on the 9th.  OK there was Easter but  the Chinese aren't into Easter.  On a plus the live support is good and I could track the snail paced movement of the parcel across the globe.

Because I needed it super fast I ordered same thing from http://stores.ebay.com/cenyglobal on the 30th. Shipping by regular post $10, it came from NY.

Reason I paid $25 shipping was because ebay expedited was something like $60 and I needed it super fast.

Both arrived today so 12 and 10 days each.


verdict: deal extreme OK if you take advantage of free shipping and buy a few things and are not in a hurry.

factory direct OK if you want it very quick but beware if you need to return stuff. They have good weekly fliers to take the clickwork out of finding bargains.  No import duty since canadian

ebay probably the best middle ground once you find a shop you like and trust.

I have never had to pay import duty for anything but then again I only buy little things like adaptors and cables that aren't worth much, I've never bought anything more than $20 or so from US.  I heard if it comes by post there is no or very little duty and brokerage is included but I've not run into this problem.



No comments: